Frequently Asked Questions

Click the categories below to filter questions about personal property tax, tax sales and other subjects related to living and moving in Clay County, Missouri. If you still haven’t found the answer to your question, please email us.

I Still Have A Question
I am renting a mobile home, am I responsible for the taxes?2020-01-20T12:05:41-05:00

The party responsible for the taxes should be stated in your rental agreement. If it is a ‘rent to own’ agreement, you may be responsible. Make sure to check your agreement or contact whomever you are renting from.

I no longer live in Clay County. Why am I still being assessed on the mobile home?2020-01-20T12:05:41-05:00

Unless we are informed otherwise by the park or the taxpayer, the person named on the title or the purchasing agreement for the mobile home will be responsible for the taxes.

I received a bill, but only my mobile home was on it. Why?2020-01-20T12:05:41-05:00

More than likely, we did not receive your personal assessment list, but the mobile home was rendered to us by the park. When that happens, we do not assess the vehicles until the taxpayer either sends in their personal assessment list or comes in to one of our locations to be assessed.

Aren’t mobile homes real estate?2020-01-20T12:05:41-05:00

Mobile homes are only considered real estate if they are permanently affixed to a permanent foundation. If that is the case, you need to make sure to contact Clay County.

How are mobile homes assessed?2020-01-20T12:05:42-05:00

Mobile homes are assessed from the October issue of the NADA book , and assessed at 19% per the State of Missouri.

Mobile homes are assessed similarly to vehicles in the fact that it is based on who owned the mobile home on January 1st, where the mobile home was located, year, and make of the mobile home.

Mobile homes differ from vehicles in the fact that they are claimed where they are located and not where the owner is located. Also, the total square footage is taken into consideration when figuring the assessed value.

Per Section 137.092, RsMo the mobile home parks are responsible for rendering the mobile homes and owners located within the park to the Assessor’s office every year. So, even if you don’t claim it on your personal list, it may still be added based on the report that we receive from your park.

How is Personal Property of Military Personnel assessed?2020-01-20T12:05:42-05:00

The assessment of military personnel continues to be an area of confusion, judging from the number of calls we receive on this subject. The law in this area is controlled by the federal Soldiers and Sailors Relief Act of 1940. The United States Supreme Court has stated that military personnel shall not lose their residence or domicile in their home state solely because they are absent from the state in compliance with military or naval orders. However, military personnel stationed away from Missouri must still pay personal property taxes in Missouri assuming they retain Missouri as their home state of record.

The military personnel are treated as though they never left their home state and county. Consequently, assessors should treat the tangible personal property stationed in other states or countries the same as if the taxpayer is living in the county and the personal property is present in the state. The other side of the matter, is that personal property of any individuals residing in your county by means of military orders are not taxable in your jurisdiction, with the exception of business personal property located in Missouri and owned by non-resident military personnel.

The Attorney General issued an opinion [Burrell, Op. Att’y. Gen. No 95 (Feb 16, 1966)] concluding that non-resident military personnel stationed in Missouri may obtain a certificate of no tax due (a waiver) from the collector and license their cars in Missouri; however, if a military spouse is the sole owner, it should be taxed as any other resident. Verification of the home of record is easily ascertainable by looking at the bottom portion of the “Leave and Earnings Statement” (i.e., pay stub) which indicates the individual’s claimed home state of record.

Where Military Personal Property is Taxed:

Type of Owner Location of Property Where Taxed
Non-MO Resident Military In Missouri Non taxable
MO Resident Military In Missouri In county of residence
MO Resident Military Outside Missouri
(voluntary reporting)
In county of residence
MO Resident Military Outside Missouri
In county of residence
How are aircraft assessed?2020-01-20T12:05:42-05:00

Aircraft are assessed based on year, make, model number, and hours flown the previous year. We use the spring issue of the Aircraft Blue Book per the State of Missouri.

An Aircraft is considered historic when it is 25 years or older and flown under 50 hours in a year.

Kit planes are always assessed at the historic aircraft percentage based on the purchase price of the kit, purchase amount for additional parts, and number of labor hours.

Aircraft will still need to be assessed even if they are in parts. They will be assessed at the historic percentage based on total purchase amount.

An Aircraft is eligible to be assessed by the State Tax Commission if it is used for commercial purposes and has a gross take-off weight of over 3,000lbs. Owners choosing to have their aircraft assessed by the State will need to inform Clay County. More information is available at the State Tax Commission web site.

I am renewing 2-year license plates; which years’ personal property tax receipts do I need?2020-01-20T12:05:42-05:00

You will need your two previous year’s receipts. If you were assessed in another Missouri county, you may need to contact that county for a previous year receipt. If you cannot locate your tax receipt for the appropriate year, please call the Collector’s office at (816) 407-3200 for additional information.

I bought my vehicle in December but did not take possession of it until after January 1st; do I still have to pay taxes on it?2020-01-20T12:05:43-05:00

Yes. The date of purchase listed on the application for title is the date you actually owned it regardless of when you picked it up.

I need to license a car not included on my paid tax receipt. What do I do?2020-01-20T12:05:43-05:00

If you bought your car after January 1 of this year, use last year’s receipt. Property taxes are not owed on the new vehicle unless you owned it on January 1st. If you did own the vehicle on January 1 of last year and it is not listed on your receipt, or is incorrect on you receipt or statement, please contact the Assessor’s office.

What is MACRS?2020-01-20T12:05:43-05:00

The Modified Accelerated Cost Recovery System (MACRS) is the current tax depreciation system in the United States. Under this system, the capitalized cost (basis) of tangible property is recovered over a specified life by annual deductions for depreciation.

What type of equipment should be claimed?2020-01-20T12:05:44-05:00

Anything that is used for the business that is not considered inventory (for sale).
Examples: office fixtures, office equipment, displays, office furniture, signs, fax/copy machines, phones, file cabinets, office décor, computer equipment (including software), data processing equipment, tools, machinery, high tech equipment (computer driven), slot machines, robotics, construction equipment, etc.

Can I get a value for my business account?2020-01-20T12:05:44-05:00

Business Personal Property values can be retrieved online at as of June 1 each year.

How do I appeal my values?2020-01-20T12:05:44-05:00

Informal: Will be conducted between April 1 and May 1 by the Assessor’s staff of appraisers. Call (816) 407-3520 between 8:30am and 4:30pm Monday-Friday for an appointment.
Board of Equalization: Following informal hearings, taxpayers may appeal to the Board of Equalization (BOE). Forms for making application to appeal to the BOE are available at the County Clerk’s office at (816) 407-3582.
State Tax Commission: Appeals must be received by the State Tax Commission by August 15th or within 30 days of the BOE decision. Taxpayers must first present an appeal to the BOE before appealing to the State Tax Commission.

Can I fax my Business Personal Property declaration in?2020-01-20T12:05:45-05:00

Yes, please use fax # (816) 407-3461.

May I have an extension for filing my Business Personal Property declaration?2020-01-20T12:05:45-05:00

Declarations are due March 1. Written requests for an extension must be received by March 1, and extensions can only be granted to April 1.

Can I get a breakdown of the assessed value on my account?2020-01-20T12:05:45-05:00

Business personal property values can be retrieved online at after June 1 of each year. If that isn’t enough of a breakdown, please put your request in writing via e-mail or postal service. Our e-mail address is: [email protected].

How do I register my business with the county?2020-01-20T12:05:45-05:00

You can visit and print a Business Personal Property Registration Form, fill it out and send it in or come in to one of our two locations and do it in person.

Who must render Business Personal Property?2020-01-20T12:05:46-05:00

All businesses, except those with an exempt status on January 1st of any year.
Business is defined as: retail stores, distribution, manufacturers, professionals – doctors, lawyers, dentists, business services – any activity located in Clay County except those with an exempt status such as banks, churches, schools, county, state and federal offices, etc.

What is Business Personal Property?2020-01-20T12:05:46-05:00

Business Personal Property consists of every kind of property owned by the business that is not real property. It must be movable without damage to itself or the real estate.

Why is there an Assessment penalty on my bill?2020-01-20T12:05:46-05:00

You are required to return your Assessment form to our office no later than March 1st of each year.  If it is received later than March 1st you will be assessed a late filing penalty that is based on the total assessed value of your vehicles.  The increments are as follows:

$0 – $1,000 $15 penalty
$1,001 – $2,000 $25 penalty
$2,001 – $3,000 $35 penalty
$3,001 – $4,000 $45 penalty
$4,001 – $5,000 $55 penalty
$5,001 – $6,000 $65 penalty
$6,001 – $7,000 $75 penalty
$7,001 – $8,000 $85 penalty
$8,001 – $9,000 $95 penalty
$9,001 and above $105 penalty

How can I get a receipt for last year’s taxes?2020-01-20T12:05:46-05:00

At the top of our home page is a red button labeled “Pay Bill/Receipts.”  Click that box to go to our billing and receipts portal.  The best way to search the portal is to use ONLY your last name and first name.  When you find your account and get to the account detail page, scroll to the bottom of the page, and you will see blue links to past receipts.

What do I need to submit to your office to claim a Collector’s Deed?2020-01-20T12:05:47-05:00

Click HERE to download the correct affidavit.

What type of letter do I need to send to the people/parties identified in the title search?2020-01-20T12:05:47-05:00

Click HERE for a sample notice letter.

What do you do once you receive your title search?2020-01-20T12:05:47-05:00

Click HERE to review important instructions and deadlines.

What is required to license my vehicle in Clay County?2020-01-20T12:05:47-05:00

You will need the title or registration to the vehicle, proof of insurance, a Missouri State Inspection Certificate, and a copy of the tax receipt showing paid taxes from the county where you were a resident on January 1 of the previous year. If you have two-year tags on your vehicle, the license office will require the previous two years tax receipts.

What is needed to obtain Missouri plates?2020-01-20T12:05:48-05:00

You will need the title or registration to the vehicle, proof of insurance, a Missouri State Inspection Certificate, and a tax waiver from the Clay County Assessor’s office.

How long do I have to obtain Missouri license plates and a Missouri’s driver’s license?2020-01-20T12:05:48-05:00

You have 30 days to obtain Missouri license plates and a Missouri’s driver license.

Where is the County Planning and Zoning?2020-01-20T12:05:48-05:00

County Planning and Zoning
234 W. Shrader, Suite C
Liberty, MO 64068

When and how can I appeal my market value?2020-01-20T12:05:48-05:00

Detailed instructions are available here.

Informal hearings will be held from April through early May with an appraiser from the Assessor’s Office. Please call for an appointment during the month of April.

Board of Equalization hearings will start in July. All requests for BOE appeals must be made through the Clerk’s office. Original signed forms must be returned by the 3rd Monday in June. This step is mandatory for further appeals.

State Tax Commission hearings can be scheduled after filing with the Board of Equalization. State Tax Commission filing deadline is 30 days following the final action of the BOE or September 30th, whichever is later.

How can I determine the market value for my property?2020-01-20T12:05:49-05:00

The Change of Value Notice displays previous market value and current market value by calendar year. Current and historical change of value notices are available online here.

Who are the taxing authorities in Clay County?2020-01-20T12:05:49-05:00

School Districts, Fire Districts, Ambulance Districts, Road Districts, Water Districts, Hospital Districts, Library Districts, Junior College along with City and County Districts. Your property location determines which districts receive your tax dollars. You will receive a separate city tax bill.

What are tax levies?2020-01-20T12:05:49-05:00

A tax levy is a number determined by a taxing authority such as a school district used in calculating, from the assessed value, the amount owed to that taxing authority for that tax year. As government services and costs increase, levies and taxes have to be raised to pay for these services.

Why do my taxes increase?2020-01-20T12:05:49-05:00

Tax levies and taxes increase due to increased costs of school and government services. The Assessor is tasked to value property at current market value as of January 1st.  As the cost of schools and government increases, so do your taxes.  An increase in your tax bill can be the result of an increase in your tax levy, an increase in your property assessment, a combination of tax levy & reassessment, or new construction on your property.

How does the assessed value affect my real estate taxes?2020-01-20T12:05:50-05:00

The assessed value of your property is used to determine your portion of real estate taxes paid to support local school and government services. It is important to you and to our office that your assessed valuation is accurate.

The amount of real estate taxes paid in Clay County is determined by local taxing authorities such as school, fire, library, hospital, and road districts, along with city and county taxing authorities. This is why it is important to be aware of any proposed changes in spending by your local schools or governments.

What is market value versus assessed value?2020-01-20T12:05:50-05:00

Market value is the appraised value of your property as January 1st. Assessed value is calculated by multiplying the property market value, based on classification, by the correct assessment ratio. Classifications:  Agricultural – 12%, Residential – 19%, Commercial – 32%.

How do foreclosure properties affect my market value?2020-01-20T12:05:50-05:00

Foreclosure sales of real property are typically not considered a true arm’s length transaction, mainly for two reasons: 1) Seller motivation (do I have to sell to stop a foreclosure action or a bank owned property) when selling a foreclosure property is much different than a typical sale. 2) The physical condition of a foreclosure property is usually poor. Normally a foreclosure property will require extensive repairs to become salable. Foreclosure properties affect market value by forcing competing properties to adjust asking prices. Current sale data shows that real property not under duress to sell may have a longer marketing period, but sells for a much higher value than a distressed foreclosure sale.

What is market value?2020-01-20T12:05:50-05:00

Market value, true market value in money and appraised value have the same meaning under Missouri law. A simple definition of market value is the price the property would bring when offered for sale by a person who is willing but not obligated to sell and it is bought by a person who is willing to purchase it but who is not forced to do so.

How can I be sure that I’m only paying my fair share of taxes?2020-01-20T12:05:51-05:00

The Assessor’s Office continually collects and researches sales and lease data, income and expense data, along with other market factors when appraising the current market value of real property. An important point to remember is that the Assessor Office does not create market value; it analyzes the transactions of buyers and sellers to help determine property values during the reassessment process. It is buyers and sellers that determine the levels of property value with arm’s length sales transactions in the market place. Collected sales data is used to determine your properties current market value.

Once appraised values have been calculated based on information gathered by appraisers, the values are analyzed to determine how accurate and equitable they are. The Assessor’s Office staff compares assessments to sales prices to determine ratios, which are then used to measure the level and uniformity of assessments. Sales ratio studies by neighborhood, type of property, and other criteria are performed regularly to assure uniformity of values.

Why does Clay County reassess real property?2020-01-20T12:05:51-05:00

The Assessor’s Office is tasked to ensure that the tax burden is distributed equitably among all property owners. To accomplish this, Missouri Revised Statutes – Chapter 137, is followed when assessing all real property.

Re-assessment is the process that helps to validate that real property is valued at current market value. All real property in Clay County is valued with uniform and consistent procedures following Missouri Revised Statutes – Chapter 137. Over time the value of property changes due to market conditions, location, condition of property, and other physical and economic factors. Some property values change more rapidly than others. Reassessment identifies changes in market value, along with property condition to determine current market value.

Who makes the decision to reassess?2020-01-20T12:05:51-05:00

Missouri Revised Statute 137.115 requires that the Assessor reassess all real property every 2 years on January 1st, in the odd numbered year. This value is carried forward to the even numbered year except for new construction and property improvements.

Leaving Clay County / Prorated Refund2020-01-20T12:05:52-05:00

You are liable for the complete tax amount based on the property you owned on January 1, even if you moved later that year. You pay your taxes in your county of residence on January 1 (of the current year, not of the coming up year).  There is no provision in Missouri law for partial refunds on your tax bill. If you are leaving Clay County (or Missouri), please present your tax receipts when enrolling in your new place of residence.

What else do I need to know?2020-01-20T12:05:52-05:00

If you move into Clay County from another county, you also need to fill out an Assessment List. Please see our New Resident page for more information.

When should I fill out a change of address form?2020-01-20T12:05:52-05:00

Anytime you move into Clay County, within Clay County, or out of Clay County, you need to let Clay County know. Please only fill out this form for personal property (non-real estate) tax purposes.

You also need to notify the Assessor’s office of your old county of residence (if moving into Clay County) or your new county of residence (if moving out of Clay County).

Why should I fill out this form?2020-01-20T12:05:53-05:00

By Missouri law, taxpayers owe taxes based on the property they owned on January 1 of each year. That means, that even if you moved out of county or even out of state , you still owe taxes if you were a resident on January 1. Please understand that you have an obligation to let us know if (and when) your place of residence has changed, so that your assessment forms and tax bills can be sent to you. You are, by state law, responsible for payment of your taxes, including applicable penalties and interest, even if you do not receive a tax bill. Penalties and interest may, by Missouri law, only be waived for personnel on active military duty.

How do I fill out my assessment list?2020-01-20T12:05:53-05:00

When you get your assessment list in the mail, you will find that your address and property from the previous year are pre-printed on the form.  If there are changes to your address, please make those changes in the spaces provided.  Even if you have moved out of Clay County, and your mail was forwarded please mail the list back to the Assessor’s office informing us of this so that you may be removed from the tax rolls and avoid future mailings.

The property that is preprinted on the list is the property that was on file for you the preceding year.  Any property that has been disposed of you will need to draw a line through and provide the date disposed of.  Below the list of pre-printed items are sections for you to list property that was acquired during the previous year.  Be sure to fill the form out completely. Do not re-list property that has been pre-printed for you.  Should corrections need to be made to the pre-printed property lines item, make those corrections directly to them.

The assessment form must be accurately completed and returned to the Clay County Assessor’s office before March 1 in order to avoid a late filing penalty.

Generally, leased vehicles are claimed by the leasing company and you are not directly responsible for the taxes.  However, there are exceptions so you may want to check with your leasing company before listing a leased vehicle.

If you have further questions, please contact the Assessor’s Office at (816) 407-3520 (personal property) or (816) 407-3470 (business personal property).

How is the assessed value figured for my personal property?2020-01-20T12:05:53-05:00

MO State Statute 137.080
By law, personal property is divided into sub classes.

½ of 1% of true market value
12% of true market value
Motor Vehicles
33 ⅓% of true market value
Manufactured Homes
19% of true market value
Historic Aircraft & Vehicles
5% of true market value
All other personal property
33 ⅓% of true market value

Classification and assessment ratios are set by the State Law and cannot be changed by the Assessor.

Who pays the tax bill if I get a divorce?2020-01-20T12:05:53-05:00

The tax responsibility goes to the owner of record on January 1.  If property is owned jointly and the court order dissolving the marriage does not address tax liability, both parties are jointly responsible for taxes.  Neither party can obtain a statement of no taxes due until the tax liability is satisfied.  If you are separated and not legally divorced we can not split the bill once it is made.  We can separate the account for the next year.  If you are legally divorced you will need to provide copies of the final divorce decree showing who is responsible for each vehicle and you must have a current address for each party.

My vehicle is not running, do I still have to claim it on my Assessment form?2020-01-20T12:05:54-05:00

Yes.  Any vehicle titled in your name must be claimed regardless of condition.

The property is titled in my name but my relative drives it, do I still have to claim it?2020-01-20T12:05:54-05:00

Yes.  The license bureau requires that anything titled in your name have a matching receipt (in your name) showing that taxes were paid on that vehicle.

I was not a Clay County resident on January 1st but I live here now. Why can’t I just be assessed here?2020-01-20T12:05:54-05:00

Missouri law states that you must claim your personal property in the county you resided in on January 1st.  We would be happy to put you on our mailing list for the next year.  Please contact our office at (816) 407-3520 or fill out this Change of Address form.

Why do I need to have the Title or Application for Title to get a waiver?2020-01-20T12:05:55-05:00

We need to verify that the vehicle you are tagging is going to be licensed in your name before we issue the waiver and we also need the make, model, and vehicle identification number (VIN) to assess your vehicle properly.

Am I eligible for a tax waiver on my personal property?2020-01-20T12:05:55-05:00

To qualify for a tax waiver in Clay County, you must meet one of the following requirements:

  • You are new to our state.
  • You are a former resident returning to Missouri from another State and no unpaid personal property taxes are due in Clay or any other Missouri County.
  • You lived in Clay County on January 1st of the previous year but you did not have any personal property titled in your name.

If you meet requirement No. 1 or 2, you will need to bring your out-of-state title, application for title, or registration.  If you do not have a vehicle that was registered in that state you must provide proof of residence in that state for Jan 1 of the previous year.

If you meet requirement No. 3, you must bring the title or application for title in order to receive a tax waiver.

There is no fee for a tax waiver.

What is Personal Property?2020-01-20T12:05:55-05:00

According to MO State Statute 137.075 “Persons owning or holding tangible personal property on the 1st day of January shall be liable for taxes.”  Personal property includes all motor vehicles, motorcycles, recreational vehicles, trailers, boats, motors, mobile homes, aircraft, farm machinery, livestock and grain.

The Assessor sends out assessment lists at the end of each year.  It is your responsibility to return that list to the Assessor’s office by March 1, listing the taxable personal property you own as of January 1 of that year.  Under state law, there is no provision for prorating taxes for a partial year, and you may be penalized if the form is not returned to the Assessor’s office by March 1.

What is required to be put on the tax rolls of Clay County?2020-01-20T12:05:56-05:00

If you are a new resident, or have moved, you need to contact the Clay County Assessor’s Office so that they can put you on the tax rolls.

Personal Property Business Personal Property Real Estate
816-407-3520 816-407-3470 816-407-3500

Why is my bill higher than my friend’s bill?2020-01-20T12:05:56-05:00

The tax is based on the value of the vehicles you own, not on the number of vehicles you own. It is common for a person with one, more expensive vehicle to owe more tax than another person with several, less expensive vehicles. Also, the levies in your taxing district must be considered.

May I pay personal and real estate tax with one check?2020-01-20T12:05:56-05:00

Yes. Please be sure to add them correctly and send the exact amount due. Be sure to include all payment stubs and write all bill numbers on your check.

Why is my tax bill so high?2020-01-20T12:05:56-05:00

The amount of tax you owe each year is based on the value of the vehicles you owned on January 1st of that year. The value of the vehicles is established by the County Assessor using a standard rate book. The assessed value of your vehicles can be found in the upper center portion of your statement. Your bill is also determined by the city in which you reside. Your tax bill may appear higher this year because city and county taxes are now on the same bill. For example: a $10,000 car will be assessed at $3,333, then your tax bill will be between $270 and $330 depending on the tax rates that apply to your address.

Why am I being taxed for a vehicle I no longer own?2020-01-20T12:05:57-05:00

Your tax is based on the vehicles you owned on the first day of the tax year. Even if you no longer own the vehicles, even if you now own different vehicles, even if you now own no vehicles, you still pay tax based on what you owned on the first day of the year.

How are city taxes handled by the county?2020-01-20T12:05:57-05:00
  • Paid tax receipts will not be issued until all amounts appearing on your county bill have been paid—including city taxes and special assessments.
  • If you owe past due taxes to your city, those past due taxes may appear on your county bill as a special assessment from your city.  This lump sum assessment represents all past due taxes you owed your city, for all tax years, including all interest and penalties owed to your city.
  • If you have any questions about special assessments or delinquent amounts owed to your city, you must contact your city.  We are collecting an amount that was given to us by your city, and we cannot change that amount without notification from your city.  However, all regular taxes on the bill may be paid, and questions about those amounts answered, at either of our office locations.
  • If you pay your bill after December 31, a one-time penalty of 9% will be charged on all taxes and assessments appearing on your bill—for both your city and Clay County.  Interest will accrue on all city and county taxes at the rate of 1.5% per month.

Why is my city doing this?

  1. Cities will save on administrative costs since they will receive their money without having to mail, track, and collect each bill.
  2. If there is a correction to be made on your bill, you will contact the county Assessor’s office and the change they make will affect both county and city amounts due.  There will be no more need to then go to your city and make the change twice.
  3. With only one bill, it will be easier to manage coordinating payments coming from escrow accounts or lease companies. Most companies are already set up to pay county bills, so your city taxes will be paid at the same time.
  4. Cities will have a higher collection rate, giving them more money to pay for city services.

Additional notes on city taxes:

  1. Since city taxes will now be on your county bill, the full amount due on the bill will be higher. If you have been used to paying the two bills at different times, we understand.  Clay County now takes partial payments.  All payments will be pro-rated to each taxing entity until the bill is paid.  After December 31, interest and penalty will continue to accrue on the reduced balance, so pay as much as you can on time.
  2. To address the issue of unpaid taxes for past years, any delinquent taxes you owe to your city have been added to your county tax bill as well.  These amounts must be paid before you can receive a paid tax receipt for use at the DMV.  We understand that this isn’t the best news you may have heard, but cities do depend on this money for day to day operations.
I do not have children in school. Why do I have to pay so much of my taxes for public schools?2020-01-20T12:05:58-05:00

Responsible citizens shoulder the burden for activities that benefit all of us.  We all pay to maintain highways on which we may never drive, support hospitals where we may never be admitted, and support a military that may never watch over our particular neighborhood.  When schools deteriorate, so do our property values.

My grandmother died, and I received her personal property tax bill? Would you take her off the rolls immediately?2020-01-20T12:05:58-05:00

We will remove her name from the rolls; however, the family or the estate is responsible to pay the deceased taxpayer’s bill.  We get all of our billing information from the Assessor’s office, so they should be notified as well at (816) 407-3500.

My spouse and I just went through a divorce, and he/she won’t pay his/her half of the personal property bill. What do I do?2020-01-20T12:05:58-05:00

Please contact your spouse’s attorney and obtain the other half of the payment through his/her attorney.  The bill will remain unpaid, and you will not be able to renew tags until it is fully paid.  The Collector’s office cannot not waive taxes pursuant to a divorce decree or other court order.  The Assessor’s office may be able to help you apply a divorce decree to your tax bill, but you will need to speak to them directly at 816-407-3500.

How do I get my penalties and interest on delinquent taxes waived?2020-01-20T12:05:59-05:00

Missouri law only allows penalties and interest to be waived on delinquent taxes for active duty military paying within 6 months of returning from active duty, and in cases where the County has made an error.  Please bring your military orders with you when seeking to have your penalties and interest waived.  If you believe the County has made an error that entitles you to a waiver of penalties and interest, please contact our office to discuss the matter.  If you do not agree with our decision, you must request a refund from the County Commission.

What is the penalty and interest on delinquent taxes?2020-01-20T12:05:59-05:00

There is a one-time penalty of 9% charged at the time you pay the bill.  Interest accrues monthly on unpaid balances at a rate of 1.5% per month.

When are tax bills mailed out?2020-01-20T12:05:59-05:00

Tax bills are normally mailed out by mid-November every year. If you do not receive a tax bill from Clay County by November 30th, please call (816) 407-3200. Missouri statutes mandate payment by December 31st whether a taxpayer receives a bill or not.  Bills do occasionally get lost in the mail, but you still have an obligation to pay. Bills are currently available online 24 hours a day at

I recently moved to Clay County, what do I need to do ?2020-01-20T12:05:59-05:00

You must make sure that you are on the Assessor’s tax lists. Please contact the Assessor’s Office at (816) 407-3500.

Where do I send payments, and who do I make the check payable to ?2020-01-20T12:06:00-05:00

All payments, at all times of year, should be mailed to:

Lydia McEvoy, Collector
1 Courthouse Square
Liberty, Missouri 64068.

Checks should be made payable to “Lydia McEvoy, Collector.”

What is your Federal Tax ID?2020-01-20T12:06:00-05:00

Our Federal Tax ID number is 44-6000477.

Why is a driver’s license required for payment at the coun