NEW RESIDENT2022-05-13T19:09:24-05:00

Assessments are based on where you lived/what you owned January 1.

If You Have Moved to Clay County from a Different County or State:

If you have moved from another county within Missouri, or are new to the state of Missouri, please contact the Assessor’s Office at 816-407-3500.

When going to the DMV, use your Personal Property Tax receipt from your previous county of residence.

Personal Property Business Personal Property Real Estate
816-407-3520 816-407-3460 816-407-3500

Assessment Information

Frequently Asked Questions

What is required to license my vehicle in Clay County?2022-05-13T18:30:33-05:00

Contact your local DMV.

When should I fill out a change of address form?2020-01-20T12:05:52-05:00

Anytime you move into Clay County, within Clay County, or out of Clay County, you need to let Clay County know. Please only fill out this form for personal property (non-real estate) tax purposes.

You also need to notify the Assessor’s office of your old county of residence (if moving into Clay County) or your new county of residence (if moving out of Clay County).

Who pays the tax bill if I get a divorce?2020-01-20T12:05:53-05:00

The tax responsibility goes to the owner of record on January 1.  If property is owned jointly and the court order dissolving the marriage does not address tax liability, both parties are jointly responsible for taxes.  Neither party can obtain a statement of no taxes due until the tax liability is satisfied.  If you are separated and not legally divorced we can not split the bill once it is made.  We can separate the account for the next year.  If you are legally divorced you will need to provide copies of the final divorce decree showing who is responsible for each vehicle and you must have a current address for each party.

I was not a Clay County resident on January 1st but I live here now. Why can’t I just be assessed here?2022-05-13T18:37:23-05:00

Missouri law states that you must claim your personal property in the county you resided in on January 1st.  We would be happy to put you on our mailing list for the next year.  Please contact our office at (816) 407-3500.

What is Personal Property?2022-05-13T18:38:17-05:00

According to MO State Statute 137.075 “Persons owning or holding tangible personal property on the 1st day of January shall be liable for taxes.”  Personal property includes all motor vehicles, motorcycles, recreational vehicles, trailers, boats, motors, mobile homes, aircraft, farm machinery, livestock and grain.

The Assessor sends out assessment lists at the end of each year.  It is your responsibility to return that list to the Assessor’s office by March 1, listing the taxable personal property you own as of January 1 of that year.  Under state law, there is no provision for prorating taxes for a partial year, and you may be penalized if the form is not returned to the Assessor’s office by March 1.

What is required to be put on the tax rolls of Clay County?2020-01-20T12:05:56-05:00

If you are a new resident, or have moved, you need to contact the Clay County Assessor’s Office so that they can put you on the tax rolls.

Personal Property Business Personal Property Real Estate
816-407-3520 816-407-3470 816-407-3500